Present: Chris Day (CD), Paul Savage (PS), John Pybus (JP), Andy
Morgan (AM), Nick Edwards (NE), Rick Padfield (RP).
Apologies: Hilary, Pete D, Lou M, Steve R, Simon G.
Note that only 1/3 of the club members present has a beer in their hand, and
that only 1 member of the club is wearing a silly hat. On a serious note, Quorum
has not been reached.
Last meetings minutes ratified by RP.
Matters arising from last minutes
- NE will organise a T-shirt for MT08, aiming to have them available for
Fresher's Fair '08.
- Italian caver to give a talk – meeting decided it was not worth chasing
up, and to “let it die it's natural death”
- No news on the new “artificial” cave – CD suggests the ball is still in
Tackle Officer (RP)
- Mice have gotten into the tackle store food. Holes have been found and
- Ordered: Petzl Duos, lots more (thick) rope, lots of new batteries to
replace lost rechargables. PS admits he has 4 at home.
- Possibility of a tackle amnesty – a “naughty” bin for rope and such.
Meets Officer (NE)
- TT08 has been a quiet term for meets
- Mendip Madness was a huge success. Used Facebook to actively recruit
members – suggestion that the OUCC Facebook group could be used heavily during
Fresher's Week and providing the link to all prospective members.
- MT'08 Meets – JP: South Wales and Mendips, and at least one Yorkshire
trip. Use 2nd, 3rd, 5th and 7th weeks
- UBSS Bonfire Night
- Keith Hyams suggested a Devon Trip, but it was decided that this would be
best delayed until HT'09
- CHECC weekend last year was great fun, and we should encourage attendance
Little to report, “technically” missed deadline.
Social Secretary (PS)
- TT'08 was quiet socially, but the Annual Dinner was good fun, and went
- Working on activities for Fresher's Week '08, but this can be discussed
It's fantastic (JP) Will there be an e-book version? (CD) It will happen
eventually, either .pdf or .html toward the end of the year (JP) Will Inglesport
stock it? (CD)
Fresher's Week 2008
- Scheduled for the 1st week in October.
- NE booked two tables – JP needs to send a cheque to OUSU. Will wait till
September to recruit for the stall.
- First Social: Needs to be a more relaxed, friendly occasion. Use club
t-shirts to identify good members to chat to (PS). Aim more social, I.e. a
short pub crawl. Second Social: “Proper” talk at Teddy Hall (or new venue if
- Termcard: details of Pub meets, as well as good links for new cavers (I.e.
BBC “Extreme Caving” and Facebook/website details). To be made available at
Freshers Fair and made to look colourful and stand out.
- Freshers Stand to be planned in September – lots of photos etc. Need some
display board. On the note, more photos for the Tackle Store door?
Sport Federation Forms
CD has done the Committee changeover form, but needs to complete the
Presidents End-of-Year report. JP will do Treasurers report.
Stay at Blackwalls, do both digging and tourist trips. No time in MT'08, plan
for HT'09 - action NE.
Proc's 15 and 16
Fleur Loveridge – Proc. 15; Chris Rogers – Proc. 16. Neither present.
- Needs to be close to the centre of town for students – also needs to be
big enough (JP).
- Start time earlier – 8.30pm. Need a summer pub recce (PS) –
- Far from the Madding Crowd, Mitre, Chequers, Port Mahon?
6th week, MT'08 – at the Bookbinders?